The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has come up with a “Top Ten” food safety myth slideshow for consumers. Some interesting facts:
- One bacteria left at room temperature for 7 hours will grow to 2,097,152!
- Some bacteria, such as staphylococcus (staph), produce toxins not destroyed by high cooking temperatures.
- 1 out of 4 hamburgers turn brown before being cooked to a safe temperature.
- Meat and poultry should not be washed before cooking due to the danger of cross-contamination.
- The U.S. food supply is still among the safest in the world.