We congratulated Supervalu for coming up on the first anniversary of a successful acquisition of most of Albertsons. Now Supervalu has posted a presentation given at its annual meeting of shareholders.
A dozen highlights:
- Merchandising is seen as Supervalu’s “secret weapon”
- Remodeling as a highly productive use of capital
- Execution at Store level is crucial
- Building private label is vital
- 27% of Supervalu’s shoppers purchase organics weekly
- 96% of its shoppers use fresh organics occasionally
- “Wild harvest” private label organic perishables are integrated
- Emphasis on keeping stores locally relevant
- “Fresh to your family from Jewel” slogan drives quality perception in Chicago
- Shaws has moved produce promos to the front of the stores
- Emphasis on “Fresh & Healthy”
- Focus on high-margin categories: Perishables, Prepared Foods, Natural/Organic, Specialty and Ethnic and Health Care
You can see and hear the presentation right here.