The Setton Farms Website contains a complete tab on organic:
Bringing Organic Back to Earth
Setton Farms Certified Organic products are grown in accordance with strict standards and requirements set forth in the Organic Foods Production Act of 1990, which is verified by an independent state or private organization. Certification includes inspections of farm fields and processing facilities, detailed record keeping, and periodic testing of soil and water to ensure that growers and handlers are meeting the standards which have been set.
Organic N & I certifies Setton’s facilities and all of the organic products manufactured.
Organic food production is based on a system of farming that maintains and replenishes soil fertility without the use of toxic and persistent pesticides and fertilizers. To maintain the integrity of the food, Setton organic products are minimally processed without artificial ingredients, preservatives or irradiation.
Organic Food, Becoming Mainstream
Consumers of organic foods include people of all ages and backgrounds. Organic foods comprise the fastest growing segment of the food market.
• According to the USDA, U.S. Organic food sales have increased 23% annually — Five times faster than food sales in general.
• Nearly 40% of shoppers are reaching for products labeled organic and 2006 sales are expected to reach more than $11 billion.
• The USDA reveals nearly two-thirds (65%) of Americans have tried organic foods and beverages, jumping from just over half (54%) in both 2003 and 2004.
• The growth in the sale of organic foods is attributed to the sales in mainstream retail outlets, and select natural food grocery chains.
• Mainstream retail markets will account for 60% of total sales.
The Setton Farms Advantage
Setton Farms organic products are produced with the highest quality ingredients and the same dedication to excellence as all other Setton Farms products. Setton Pistachio organic products have been tailored to meet the needs of your business.
• Convenient, resealable containers lock in freshness
• Smaller size packaging offers attractive price points
• Eye-catching graphics and labels
• Display friendly, “ready for the shelves”
• Attractive display options are available to increase product visibility
• Bulk Product is also available
• Setton Innovation
Check regularly for new organic nuts, dried fruits, trail mixes and snacks. Setton Farms’ advanced product development team is constantly bringing new items, new packaging and new display options to the market to ensure that our customers remain the most current in this rapidly growing industry.
Yet something is very odd. The certification on the Website is from 2005, and it is issued not to the California company, but to the Long Island company. Yet the Website clearly states that “Organic N & I certifies Setton’s facilities…” plural.
Nobody is talking but one thing an organic certifier would normally be sensitive to is comingling of product. So it might have caught this opportunity for raw and roasted product to mingle — unless the California facility isn’t organic certified at all.
The 2005 certificate doesn’t mean much; many industry Websites are out of date, but the Website clearly implies that the California facility is organic-certified. As best as we can see, that is not likely to be true. Perhaps the Long Island facility was just buying direct from certified organic farmers and it repacked their product. But if organic product was going through the California facility, that would probably not have been permitted the way their certificate is worded.
You can see the company’s last posted organic certification here.